Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Wanted: False Accusation Victims to Share
Their Stories for Magazine Article

I have recently corresponded with Kayleen Schaefer, a reporter for Details magazine in New York City. This magazine belongs to the Condé Nast publishing group and has a nationwide circulation of 500,000. I shall post all 5 e-mails below, starting with the first query message that I received on 4 Nov. I share this material for considered reasons:

----- Original Message -----
From: Kayleen Schaefer
Sent: 11/04/09 10:55 am
To: kevindriscollisinnocent@gmx.com
Subject: Details magazine story

Hi: I’m a reporter at Details magazine in New York. I’ve been talking to Kevin Driscoll for a piece I’m working on about guys who were falsely accused of rape and have been enjoying your updates on the case. I’ve been looking for other guys who this has happened to and wondered if you knew of any who would be willing to tell their stories. Please let me know if you have any questions about the piece or the magazine—and if you know any guys who would be willing to talk with me—and thanks very much.

Kayleen
------------

Hello Kayleen: I am not personally acquainted with any guys who've been falsely or questionably accused of rape (other than Kevin Driscoll), but such cases are becoming extremely common, and I'll try to think of some leads that would be worth your while.

Meanwhile, a couple of queries about your upcoming article and about Details magazine.

Firstly: what is the circulation of your publication, how would you describe your readership generally speaking, and how would you describe the basic political/cultural leaning of your publication?

Secondly: what is the primary purpose of your proposed article - to
shine a spotlight on the problem of false rape accusation, I would
assume? And do you feel that this is an issue which your
particular readership is ready to process with an open mind?

As for my own position, I wish to see justice done in the case of
Kevin Driscoll. If the verdict goes against him, then I and others
are prepared to raise some hell about it.

But even if he is acquitted, there is STILL some hell to be raised.

Either way, there is hell to be raised.


I thank you for your enquiry. I look forward to your reply, and will seek the information that you have requested.

~Fidelbogen~
-----------------


Hi: Thanks for trying to think of some leads for me.

We have 500,000 readers & it’s a national magazine. It’s a general interest magazine so I have to assume that we have both liberal and conservative readers, but the majority live in major cities.

And yes, the idea is to focus on guys who are wrongly accused of rape, and yes, I believe our readers have an open mind to this idea.

Thanks again for your help & for the updates about the trial on your blog. They are much appreciated.

Kayleen
------------

Hello Kayleen: Before I proceed any further, I would like to propose a simple idea and see if it meets with your approval.

Very simply, I would like to issue a general call to my blog readers. I will inform them of what you are doing, and tell them that if they have such a story to share (or know somebody who does) they should contact you. I would post your e-mail address for that purpose.

The question is, do you wish to have your e-mail address (and/or your name) publicized on my blog?

An alternative to this, would be for them to send a message to me for forwarding to you. Please let me know what you think. Meanwhile, I am working on other possibilities.

~Fidelbogen~
-----------------


Hi: I think that’s a great idea, and don’t mind having my email address out there at all. All of my info is below, and thanks – I really appreciate it.

--
Kayleen Schaefer
Details
4 Times Square
8th Floor
New York, NY 10036
p: 212.286.5487
kayleen_schaefer@condenast.com
details.com
--------------------------------

All right, there you have it. Kindly put the word out to anybody who might wish to know of this. It's an opportunity, and where you go with it is entirely up to you. I place it in your hands, and leave it in your hands.

In your correspondence, don't hesitate to ask detailed questions about the form, content and final purpose of the proposed article. If you have any media savvy at all, use it. I would recommend archiving your communications.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Veldan said...

I posted a link to this on:
http://falserapesociety.blogspot.com/

Hopefully some people there will be interested in sharing their stories.

8:50 PM  
Blogger The Archivist said...

Veldan,

Thanks for posting it over at our site. It's appreciated.

@F,

I just wish I was in that area instead of Chicago, so I could be in that courtroom. The physical isn't possible, but the spirit is there.

All the best,

E. Steven Berkimer
www.falserapesociety.blogspot.com

8:31 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home